When it comes to packing for my family of 5, huge luggages and multiple carry-ons are definitely required. We haven’t really taken any big international (or even national) trips yet, just a lot of local weekend getaways plus week long trips to Vegas. It’s amazing how much I still need to pack for even just a weekend getaway though! With 3 little ones who are prone to spill on their clothes and get them dirty, I always have to pack at least 2 extra outfits for each kid just in case. I’ve learned my lesson from the past when I had to end up buying clothes because I didn’t pack enough extra clothing haha.
I’ve received messages about how I pack for my family and it’s been long overdue but here it is finally!
- Make a spreadsheet and create a column for each person in your family. Omg, you don’t even know how this has been the biggest game changer for me. I can’t even believe I used to just have the list “in my head” lol. I highlight everything as I put it in the suitcase so that way I know what hasn’t been packed yet. If you don’t do this yet, I 100% recommend it!
- When going through your family’s clothing, separate them by outfit so that you don’t over pack bottoms or tops. Each day has a designated outfit. If you have littles, pack an extra 2 sets of outfits for those “just in case” moments.
- Use the Marie Kondo folding method! I started doing this and have never looked back. I love it because, not only is it visually appealing, but it’s also a great way for you to see everything at first glance. For quick trips, I usually keep our clothes in our luggages so this way is perfect to pull clothes out.
- Buy gallon freezer bags. I use these bags for everything, especially for our toiletries and my skincare products that could possibly spill. Not only do these bags keep things organized but it will also keep your lugagge/bag dry from accidental spills.
- Pack one jacket only per family member. As much as I love to change jackets to match a certain outfit, jackets take a lot of space! I have to pack 5 and that already takes up a lot of luggage room. Make sure everyone in the family has a solid jacket that is versatile so you are good with one jacket.
- Bring a couple trash bags for dirty clothes. I know hotels usually provide one but based on past experiences, it’s not enough for us so I pack some of my own.
- Don’t forget Clorox wipes! Yes, housekeeping works so hard to clean hotel rooms but just in case they missed a spot or your kid makes a mess, you’re good to go.
Well there ya have it! Those are my personal tips. I am always open to making my life easier so please share your tips with me! Also, our luggages are Ricardo Beverly Hills and they are amazing!!!